Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Is being an artist a realistic and achievable career?

I got to reflecting on this.......this week...and more seriously than before. Maybe I am at that stage and more mature. ( artistically )

is this a realistic career choice....... or are you going to live in a cockroach-invested small apartment... for the rest of your life, fulfilling the “starving artist” stereotype? In short, the odds of being a successful fine artist (someone who makes a living by creating original, one-off pieces of art) are against you -- but some people do succeed. Though most of us are exposed to art only as paintings in galleries, art teachers, and hobby painters, there are many other options out there. Being a fine artist isn’t the only career option for artists.

But I Want to Make a Career as a Fine Artist…!

It takes a lot of determination, hard work, hard selling, and persistence to make a career as a fine artist. You need to create paintings people want to buy. Are you willing to change your style and subject matter so that people will buy more? Will you take commissions, painting to order in terms of size..... color, and subject? Being a competent painter isn’t a magic wand. You also need to be able to market yourself and your work. It is possible to make a career as a fine artist, but it’s tough and few artists make a living by only selling their work (at least initially). But then who says you can do only one thing at a time?

determination...and yes hard work....comes down to at least 2 or 3 paintings a week ( min )
Why that much ?
Well....if your lucky..1 out 10 or 15 will be good.
You have to show only your best ones....this is going to be your reputation...and the statement that says '' its me ''

Time :
Some people choose a job simply because it pays the bills and leaves them with plenty of time to pursue a fine-art career part time. Or one in an unrelated field so it won't use up their creative energy. Only you can know if this is right for you. Personally I find being in a job I find dull...... even for only a few hours a day, stifles my creativity. But balancing demanding, albeit creative jobs means I must work at ensuring I schedule enough painting time in the week.

Now.....The ''term'' professional artist....I have head and read this soooo many times from beginners.
I have seen people on welfare...paint.and sell ( astoundingly low priced )paintings and say they are professionals. I do not think if they didn't have welfare..that they could survive ''only '' on their work.Same goes to stay at home Mom's....who's husband pays all and she ''hobby'' paints.....sells a bit..and says she a pro ? Ridiculous !

I for one.....can not say professional.
I can say semi-pro.
the term semi-professional can be applied to an artist such a photographer or musician who derives some income from their artistic endeavors but who must nevertheless take a day job in order to survive.

I could of said also......I am an emerging artist......which was true a couple of years ago...
But after being published.and appreciated, collected.... to the point of of someone taking advantage of me Because I wanted to get on the pro market...I think I am semi-pro now.

I found this searching the web...pretty interesting and a good eye opener.

1. "I want to be famous." This is not serious. It's confusing an almost-random accident with a career in art. If being famous is really important to you you'd be better off doing what Evel Knieval did: soar halfway across the Grand Canyon on a motorcycle. He's famous. When you think about it, it's amazing just how many artists are right at this moment astride that metaphorical motorcycle, roaring up that ramp and out into the blue. Good luck to them all. But is it art?

2. "I want to create new forms of expression and change the world." You're too young. Wait five years and start again.

3. "I want to devote my spare time to fulfilling and meaningful activity. I would like to exhibit my work so as to share it with others, receive their feedback and continue to progress." There may be some hope for you.

4. "I want to be able to make a living doing what I love best." This is a bit trickier, but you might have a go. The worst that can happen is that you have to scale back your aspirations and get a job.

No comments: